Before all else —
your health comes first.
Before you can use the LAP-BAND® System to help you lose
weight and live healthier, you need to qualify medically. This means
being currently healthy enough for the minimally invasive procedure.
While only a physician or surgeon can give you a complete medical
evaluation, the criteria listed here should help you get started. You
may also want to ask your surgeon about other criteria he or she may
LAP-BAND® may be right for you if:
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is at least 40, or
- your BMI is 35 or higher with one or more obesity-related health
- you are at least 100 lbs overweight.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have been overweight for more than 5 years.
- Your serious weight loss attempts have had only short-term
- You are not currently suffering from any other disease that may
have caused your excess weight.
- You are prepared to make major changes in your eating habits and
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
- You are not currently pregnant. (Note: If you become pregnant
after having this procedure, the band can be adjusted for the duration
of your pregnancy.)
The LAP-BAND® System is a minimally invasive procedure
that has helped thousands of people lose weight. But be aware that there
are reasons why you may not be a candidate. You and your
doctor should review your medical history to make your medical decisions
Keep in mind that only a qualified physician/surgeon can properly
evaluate all the factors in your case. This result is a guideline for
you, and can help you make the decision to seek more information about
weight loss surgery using the LAP-BAND® System.